Placement & Testing
To ensure placement of students at the appropriate level of the program, new IEP students take a placement test on the first day of the semester, or the first day of the session.
TOEFL Test Schedule
1st TOEFL Test - Fall 2017
The WVU Intensive English Program is going to administer the ITP Paper-based TOEFL test on October 6th (Friday) at 8:00AM in room 260 Hodges Hall. The cost is $35.00 for IEP students and $50.00 for non-IEP students.
2nd TOEFL Test - Fall 2017
TOEFL Requirements for Entering West Virginia University
- Students entering West Virginia University directly from their home countries must have a score of 550 on the TOEFL. However, students who have been enrolled in the IEP for at least one semester as full-time students can be admitted with the following scores:
- Undergraduate Students must have a 500 (173 Computer/international) TOEFL score or an overall GPA 3.0 and completion of the highest level of the IEP.
- Graduate Students must have a 550 TOEFL score or meet the conditional requirements of their graduate program.
Note: Several university departments require a score higher than 550 to meet requirements.
On the day of the test:
- You must arrive early (at least 15 minutes before the time the test is supposed to start).
- You must bring a photo ID and your payment receipt.
- You must turn off your cell phone completely.
- You will be provided with a pencil and an eraser.
- You must put all of your personal belongings away, including your cell phone and your receipt. The only items on your desk should be your ID and those that we will provide you: a pencil, an answer sheet, and a test book.
- You are not allowed to take notes of any kind, anywhere.
- You must remain seated and quiet throughout the entire test.
- If you have any questions, you should raise your hand and wait for assistance. Do not talk to any other test taker sitting near you.
- You are not allowed to bring any foods or drinks (except for a bottle of water).
- You will not have any breaks during the test, not even to use the restroom.
- You are not allowed to leave the room before the test is over.