Students have many options when choosing where to live during their stay in Morgantown. Extensive off-campus housing is readily available in the form of rental apartments.
Students who are interested in participating in authentic American family life should consider our International Home-stay Program.
There are a number of apartments in Morgantown. You can choose to rent an apartment for yourself or share with one or more roommates. The rental fee depends on the number of people who live in the apartment. If you decide on renting an apartment, you should plan to pay a minimum of $350.00 plus utilities (water, telephone, gas, cable) for a room in a house or an apartment. If you want to live alone, the price could be double or more. Some apartments include utilities in the rental fee. For more information it is recommended that you consult the apartment lists in the Office for International Students and Scholars, Purinton House. You can also access housing information on the off-campus housing website at http://housing.wvu.edu/faq#off
Home-stays are generally arranged for one semester and can be renewed by mutual agreement between the family and the student.
The host family will provide:
- furnished bedroom with study table or desk , bed linens and towels (students usually share a bathroom with another student or family member)
- access to washer and dryer for washing clothes
- 2 meals a day / breakfast and dinner (either food purchased and made available for student to prepare for his / herself, or meals provided with the family)
- most homes have Internet access or Wifi (some with extra fee)
The student will be responsible for:
- $250.00 (U.S. funds) one-time homefinders fee: paid to local agent
- $700.00 (& up) / every 4 weeks : for room & food : payable to the host monthly
- The homefinder’s fee & first months rent is due the day the student moves in and the contract is signed.
- other food, snack food (soda, candy…) and personal items (shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent ..) and any special food the student requires
- daily transportation by walking, PRT, or city bus to campus & weekend transportation, this could include taxi (most city busses do not run late at night or Sundays)
- cleaning their own room & bathroom they use, washing their own clothes & sheets
- informing the host if they will miss the evening meal, be out very late or go out of town
- having health insurance for the entire time they are in the home & at WVU (WVU policy)
- contacting the host first, then the local agent, of any problems or concerns with the home
- An application must be filled out before a search and placement can be made.
- sign a contract for one semester; renewable upon mutual agreement with host
- Student is responsible to pay for the entire semester even if they decide to move out early and break the contract.
For further information, contact:
Karen Allen / Homestay Coordinator
Morgantown, WV 26506-6297